The violin, also called a fiddle, is a bowed string instrument. It has four strings that are tuned in perfect fifths. It is the smallest and highest pitched member of the violin family of string instruments, violas and cellos are also included in this family. Though it is very difficult to play the violin, when mastered, the violin is a beautiful sounding instrument and the basis for orchestras. Many famous pieces of classical music have been written especially for it.
However, it is not easy to learn the violin. There are a lot of violin techniques that need to be mastered. Just being able to hold the bow and violin correctly take some getting used to and really can influence how well you play the violin. In short, when you learn the violin, it takes time and dedication. You have to be disciplined and ready to practice the difficult violin techniques that you have to master in order to play the violin well.
To start learning how to play you will obviously need to buy a violin but they don’t come cheap. If you have just started to play the violin then you should consider renting one from your local music store or from the Internet. This should cost around $10-$15 dollars a month.
To learn the violin you will need the following things.
– A full size violin if you are an adult.
– A full size bow.
– Rosin. This is applied to the hairs of the bow and causes the hairs to hit the strings intermittently, making them vibrate.
– Shoulder rest (optional). One of these will save you having to lift your shoulder and crane your neck to support the instrument, which could hurt your neck and shoulder area. Even though they take some getting used to and are thought by some to affect the sound of the violin, most beginners use them to learn the violin. Some violinists do not use shoulder rests and do not find it a problem, so it is up to you.
– A soft cloth to clean your violin and bow.
– A violin tuner.
– A metronome. Not essential but a handy device which will help you to keep time.
– Some violin music.
The only thing that is not on the list is a violin teacher. There are a number of ways you can learn to play the violin it could be from a violin teacher, online tutorials, DVDs and books. Learning is something unique to everyone and we all have our own style, however, having a violin teacher to teach you violin techniques and show you where you are going wrong is very useful for your progression.
Also, don’t worry if your hands, fingers and arms ache after playing the violin, you will soon get accustomed to the positioning of the violin and your fingers will become used to pressing the strings.